AVB: I’m not the gloating type

first_imgAndre Villas-Boas insists there will be no gloating on his part if he proves his doubters wrong by delivering Tottenham a top-four finish. The Portuguese is looking to end the season above former employers Chelsea, who are two points behind Tottenham having gone through a difficult year characterised by supporter revolt and yet another managerial sacking. He said: “At the end of the season I won’t be so egocentric to consider it a personal success. That is not my type, but hopefully at the end of the season we are able to achieve what the club expects from the team.” Tottenham’s impressive form continued on Thursday night when they swatted aside Inter Milan 3-0 in the first leg of their Europa League last-16 tie at White Hart Lane. Villas-Boas’ rampant team have another chance to deliver a big blow to one of Europe’s most prestigious clubs on Sunday afternoon when they travel to Liverpool, who are 10 points below the top four. “I think it will probably end their hopes (of Champions League qualification) if we win, but you never know,” Villas-Boas said. Spurs have fallen away in the last third in the previous two campaigns to miss out on the Champions League, but Villas-Boas insists his squad is made of stronger stuff this time around. “The (unbeaten) run is still there and hopefully we can sustain it,” Villas-Boas said. “It was probably at this time last year that things shifted, but I think with this team’s willingness, we are able to bounce back because the players are really up for it because of what they suffered last season and they really want to be in the Champions League.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Prince aiming for Diamond rule

first_img Press Association After a break, he was fourth to the highly impressive Free Eagle in the Enterprise Stakes at Leopardstown. “He’s been there (Dundalk) a couple of times before, and I thought it was a very good run last time, considering it was his first run back,” said Deegan. “He’s very well, and he’s come on since then. “He’s a massive horse who is still filling his frame, so I wanted to get another run into him. “Maybe Dubai will end up being an option, but I’m viewing him as very much a horse for next year.” Jim Bolger’s Paene Magnus is another course specialist as all four of his career wins have been at Dundalk. The Ger Lyons-trained Magnolia Beach is also in the mix, while there are two visitors from Britain. Charlie Appleby’s Cat O’Mountain, third in the World Cup, showed some promise on his first run since Dubai in the September Stakes at Kempton. Paul Deegan is keen to fit a little more experience into Prince Of All back at an old haunt as the chestnut bids to defend his unbeaten record on the Dundalk Polytrack in Friday night’s Diamond Stakes. Bayrir is still on the comeback trail after moving from Australia to Marco Botti. Appleby said of Cat O’Mountain: “He has come out of the race well at Kempton, but I was a bit disappointed he was only fifth. “They went steady, and it didn’t suit him, so hopefully he’ll get an end-to-end gallop. “Hopefully there’s a good run in him at Dundalk.” Ireland’s first non-turf Group race boasts some very impressive previous winners, including Declaration Of War, Gitano Hernando and Mastercraftsman, with Aidan O’Brien this time fielding Indian Maharaja, Afonso De Sousa and Michaelmas. Prince Of All, who now carries the colours of Hamdan Al Maktoum, won at the County Louth track in March and April before finishing last of seven, beaten six lengths, by Kingman in the St James’s Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot. last_img read more

Some businesses charge coronavirus surcharge on customer bills

first_imgFood prices, especially those related to meat products, have begun to rise due to several processing plants being forced to operate with minimal staff and resources as workers fall victim to the coronavirus. As businesses across South Florida and around the world begin to finally reopen amid the COVID-19 pandemic, some  customers say they are seeing new coronavirus related fees on their bills.Reporters at CBS12 news spoke to a local woman who says her dentist charged her a “coronavirus fee” for her last appointment.The woman who was not named in the report, says she believes the extra cost she was forced to pay was to help the practice cover the rising cost of PPE for their workers.This particular dental office is not the only business who is charging and extra fee. Several people who have visited restaurants and some retail shops in the past week have also posted photos showing the additional service charge on their final bill.A customer of the treasure coast also spoke to CBS12 news saying that he noticed a 15% service fee on his bill and was still expected to tip.The owner of that particular restaurant says that the extra fee is because of the spike in food prices due to food shortages.While some people are not happy with the new surge charge, others say they understand and are even ok with it as long as they know about it upfront.Many restaurants have now started adding notices to their door, to inform customers about the new charges before they dine.last_img read more

F1 delays first of two deadlines for 2021

first_img(BBC) – Formula 1 has delayed the first of two deadlines for teams to sign up to be part of the championship from 2021.Teams were in line to receive a bonus if they committed to F1 by August 12, but that deadline has been moved back six days to allow time for more talks.F1 said: “We have received some final small legal comments that are being considered so the early sign-on deadline has been moved to August 18.”The final deadline for teams to commit remains the end of the month.Ferrari, McLaren and Williams said at the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix last weekend that they were ready to commit to the next contractual period from 2021 to 25 on the terms currently on offer.However, Mercedes have made it clear there are still some outstanding issues it wants to resolve before it will sign up.F1 has restructured the sport so that there will be a more equitable split in prize money between the teams. That will reduce the huge disparity between the big teams and less successful ones – created by former chief executive Bernie Ecclestone in the current contracts, which were negotiated in 2011.Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said last Friday that the company had “legal, commercial and sporting issues” with the new contracts.He added that he had not seen any willingness to compromise from F1.F1 responded by saying it had “engaged with all the teams in a collaborative and constructive way” and that the agreement would “not be delayed any further”.On Sunday, Wolff said: “What F1 wants to achieve is that it’s not being dragged out any further.“They have set the deadline and made it clear that we have to get on and sign the Concorde Agreement. I don’t think that if anyone fails to meet the 12th or large corporations need more time, this is going to be an issue.“This is a partnership; they need the teams and we need a strong commercial rights holder.“I know why they put a line in the sand to get everyone acting, and they have been pretty successful with that.“I would not pin it down to a day or two or a few weeks. It is a matter of getting the assurances and the buy-in and commitment from the teams to move on and settle it quickly.”Mercedes is committed to F1 and wishes to stay involved but Wolff’s comments betray unhappiness with the terms on offer.Under the new agreement, the massive bonuses paid to the big teams have been removed.These saw Ferrari last year earn about an additional $110M (about £84M), Mercedes and Red Bull more than $70M (£53.7M), McLaren about $30M (£23M) and Williams $10M (£7.7M).The new system will see Ferrari earn $40M (£30.7M) for their long-term commitment to the sport as the only team that have been in the championship since its inception in 1950.The engine manufacturers will each receive payments of $10M (£7.7M) a year in recognition of their support for the sport.last_img read more

Day ‘Running on Empty’ before Title Defence

first_imgDay, 28, could lose his number one spot if he finishes 29th or worse, and Dustin Johnson is in the top two.“I’m just a little bit under the weather,” said Day, who has topped the world rankings since March.“I’ve got to really try and manage my patience out there, because I have very little patience right now. For some reason, every time I get a little bit under the weather, I’ve got zero patience.”He has since finished tied 10th in the Masters, tied ninth in the US Open and tied 22nd at The Open in a season disrupted by illness and injury.“It’s very, very difficult to win golf tournaments,” he said.“I think everyone expects if you’re in the lead, or if you’re a favourite to win, you will win, and if you don’t, then you’re in a slump. It’s not the case.”Day will tee off at 13:30 BST today alongside Northern Ireland’s Rory McIlroy and the United States’ Phil Mickelson.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram US PGA ChampionshipWorld number one Jason Day says he is “running on empty” as he prepares to defend his US PGA Championship title.The Australian has played only one practice round at Baltusrol after spending Tuesday night in hospital with his wife, who had an allergic reaction.last_img read more

Baffour happy at Sundowns despite limited playing time

first_imgFormer Ghana Goal King, Emmanuel Baffour says he is happy at his new club Mamelodi Sundowns in South Africa, despite lack of playing time.He has played only three games so far which is a major source of worry to some Ghanaians after his impressive goal scoring performance in last season’s league. But the 23-year-old who admits he is struggling at his new club is optimistic of a quick turnaround.“I’m happy here and I only have to fight for my right because is not easy to travel to a different country and become an instant hit. This is my first time playing outside Ghana and I know all will be well”, he told JOY Sports.“My only worry is not getting much playing time but I hope with time all will go well”.The former New Edubiase striker who emerged as last season’s premier league top scorer with 21 goals joined the Premier Soccer League side before the start of the new season in a deal worth about 800,000 US dollars.Emmanuel Baffour missed out on the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations Equatorial Guinea and Gabon after he was dropped at the last minute by then Ghana Coach Goran Stevanovic from the provisional squad. He eventually made his debut for Ghana against Chile in an international friendly at the PPL Park in Pennsylvania, USA on February 29 2012.last_img read more

Didier Drogba eligible for Champions League, declares Uefa

first_imgDidier Drogba is eligible to play for Turkish club Galatasaray in the Champions League after Uefa rejected a protest by German side Schalke.The 34-year-old made his European debut against Schalke on 20 February in the last-16 first-leg tie, which ended 1-1.The Bundesliga outfit claimed the former Chelsea forward had not been registered in time to qualify for the knockout stages of the competition.However, Uefa ruled the Ivory Coast star had been registered by 1 February.If they had been found guilty of fielding an ineligible player, Galatasaray faced going into the return leg in Gelsenkirchen on Tuesday 12 March with a 3-0 deficit – Uefa’s standard punishment for the offence.Having made an appearance as a substitute in a league game, in which he scored just minutes after coming on, Drogba made his full debut for Galatasaray in Istanbul. Drogba’s 18-month loan move to the Turkish side from Shanghai Shenhua, announced at the end of January, remains controversial.Shenhua, with whom Drogba had signed a two-and-a-half year deal last summer, said they were “deeply shocked” by what had happened and are set to protest to Fifa.last_img read more

Clippers surrounded by peaceful environment in wake of Sterling’s lifetime ban

first_imgThe scene outside of Staples Center on Chick Hearn Way was impressive.There were policemen on bikes, motorcycles and horses. There were a dozen reporters doing live shots. A radio station was broadcasting live from across the street.Nothing else was going on, save for a handful of folks with interesting shirts and a couple of creative signs.This relaxed atmosphere was one of the best things to happen downtown since Staples Center opened in 1999. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Nothing to see here.No boycott of the game inside, no rebellious activities outside.NBA commissioner Adam Silver was responsible for this peaceful environment before the Clippers’ Game 5 of the Western Conference playoffs against the Golden State Warriors.Earlier in the day, Silver levied a fine so just and so right that Clippers owner Donald Sterling is banned from the NBA for life. He received a $2.5 million fine — the maximum fine allowed; it will be donated to anti-discrimination charities — and is expected to be forced to sell the Clippers with a three-quarters vote of the other NBA owners. Sterling was heard on a tape, released by TMZ on Friday, making racist, gruesome remarks.center_img Had Silver not handed out this punishment, Los Angeles would’ve braced for protests. There was no dancing or celebration in the streets, either. Just normalcy.How good that felt. The Clippers were introduced to their fans and received a loud standing ovation. They were back to wearing their Clippers warm-up jerseys — with the name showing on the front. They had tossed their jerseys to midcourt in Golden State and wore T-shirts inside out.Before Tuesday’s game, they gathered in a huddle in midcourt with their arms around one another. This was about love, positive energy and family.The only fireworks were those that went off in pregame. Also before the game, there were so many reporters that a Clippers official started turning away reporters for Doc Rivers’ pre-game news conference, citing a fire hazard.Black signs still covered advertising companies that dropped the Clippers in a heartbeat after Sterling’s comments were revealed. But the Clippers’ collective heart was beating with plenty of love, joy and surely relief. And yet, some fans still expressed their anger at Sterling, who obviously wasn’t here because he can never attend another NBA game for the rest of his life.One fan wore a shirt with Sterling’s photo that read: “Sterling out, Equality in.”Two other men were shown on the JumboTron with pictures of Sterling’s face crossed out.Norman Mark, an L.A. resident, made suitcases of T-shirts that read on the front: “We love the Clippers but …”And on the back it had an expletive with a finger in the middle and ‘owner’ below it.“I just wanted to be expressive, that’s all,” Mark said.After Silver announced Sterling’s punishment on live television, the Clippers changed their Web site to an all-black screen that said: “We Are One.”Some employees wore black shirts. The dance team wore black shirts. Sterling is blacked out.jill.painter@langnews.com @jillpainter on Twitterlast_img read more

This Week’s Favorite Features: Fall High School Athletic Achievements

first_imgThurstonTalk.com writes Olympia area high school sports stories a “little different” from traditional media.  Instead of box scores and game highlights, we focus on the students.  And, our sports writer, Tom Rohrer, does a masterful job of gathering the important details from the coaches and sideline viewing so that he can select kids to profile.  He tells  the story of what the student has accomplished both on and off the field or court.  He talks about the hard work and dedication that goes into both their athletic and personal accomplishments.  And, for die hard sports fans, we also publish photo sets from big games and rivalries.  Check out this group of photos from Montesano’s 1A State Championship win and Tumwater’s 2A State Championship game.Let’s look back at some outstanding student athlete accomplishments during fall high school sports.Capital High School Girls Make Cross Country HistoryThis fall marked the first podium win for the Capital High School girls cross country team.  Current coach Kevin Wright had been waiting 13 years for this victory.  Five of the seven top runners will be returning next year.  Watch for more great accolades from this team in 2013.Tumwater Volleyball Looking For State Crown While Having Fun Along The WayWhile their season came to an end a bit earlier than they would have liked. the Tumwater volleyball team is a great example of leadership and sportsmanship.  The team is coached by Tana Croft, daughter to famous T-Birds head coach Sid Otton.  Read more about this outstanding group of young women.Ty Gentry Earning National Recognition On The Tennis Court, While Keeping A Level Head Off ItCapital High School freshman Ty Gentry is shooting up the national rankings in the sport for his age group.  The 14-year-old is considered to be one of the top U14 players in the nation.And there are plenty more of these stories.  Just venture over to our Sports section and start reading.ThurstonTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Olympia.  If you have a suggestion for a story, send us a note at submit@thurstontalk.com.  For more events and to learn what’s happening in Olympia and the surrounding area, click here. Facebook7Tweet0Pin0last_img read more

With Setién on the bench, there are no parties that are worth

first_imgOnly those who are not called for the Cup match on Wednesday could have a rest day if finally the master considers that they do not have to go in the morning to the Sports City.In any case, the first two weeks of Setién at the head of Barcelona are a true declaration of principles on his way of working: 13 workouts and no holiday. What is popularly said: put the batteries. It is clear that Quique Setién has been motivated to the bench of Barcelona and wanting to do it well. Perhaps excessively motivated will think more than one in there. And is that since the Cantabrian coach took the reins of the team, what The staff has not yet enjoyed a day of rest. In fact, the previous coach, Ernesto Valverde had planned a holiday for Wednesday, January 15, but was recalled by the current coach. And not only that: the day before the team had only one morning training session, but Setien doubled it in two. That is, they not only took a holiday from them but also doubled their work. And to top it all, on the day of the match he also organized a training to work strategy with the ball stopped.For this week there is no holiday in its planning. Evidently when there are two games in the week it seems more difficult to find a place. In any case, this Monday the team exercised at 12 noon in the Ciutat Esportiva – because of the storm the afternoon training in football was canceled -, a session is scheduled for Tuesday at 6 pm, while on Wednesday the team will play against Ibiza in Cup (19 hours). The day after the game there is a training planned at 11 am, while Friday will be at 3.30 pm. On Saturday Barcelona will play in Valencia (16 hours) Y Sunday has a recovery session in the Sports City at 11 am. Monday has also prepared a training At 11 o’clock. LaLiga Santander* Data updated as of January 20, 2020last_img read more