FIRST-TIME winners will be crowned in the Guinness ‘Greatest of the Streets’ Linden Championship on February 8, as Swag Entertainment will oppose Quiet Storm following respective semi-final wins on Friday at the Christianburg hard court.Swag Entertainment dismissed former two-time champions Amelia’s Ward Russians 2-0. Kendolph Lewis recorded a double in the lopsided contest. His first conversion came in the second minute of the 30-minute encounter, slotting from the right side of the field after latching onto a pass from Deon Charter.With the score unchanged heading into the halftime interval, Lewis recorded his second of the night in the 17th minute, sealing the result with a powerful shot from the left side of the field.The win sealed Swag Entertainment’s second appearance in the championship match. On the other hand, Quiet Storm earned their maiden appearance in the final, defeating Silver Bullets 2-1 on penalty kicks following a 0-0 score at the end of regulation time.Meanwhile, the losers will face off in the third-place playoff.Tournament coordinator Rawle Gittens said, “This edition of the tournament has certainly featured unpredictable results.“This is evident by the fact that a newcomer will be crowned champion and gives credence to the fact that the event is evolving and improving. It also highlights the emergence is smaller teams, who now have the ability to challenge the traditional giants so I am pleased with the outcome.”He further said, “Again I would like to thank the fans and players for their continued support in making the tournament a spectacle and creating that environment and atmosphere that has become synonymous with the event.”In the Plate Championship, dethroned champions High Rollers crushed Capital Storm 2-0. Jonah Simon recorded a double in the third and 11th minute.Winners of the event will pocket $400 000 and the championship trophy, the second- placed side will pocket $150 000 and the respective accolade. Similarly, the third- and fourth-place teams will receive $100 000 and $75 000 respectively and trophy. Meanwhile the winners of the Guinness Plate Championship will pocket $60 000.
Published on March 19, 2014 at 4:48 pm Contact Trevor: firstname.lastname@example.org | @TrevorHass Facebook Twitter Google+ BUFFALO, N.Y. — Baye Moussa Keita often says that he tries to play every game like it’s his last.It’s a figure of speech, but a mentality the senior center tries to embody.But on Thursday, that figure of speech could become reality. Keita and fellow senior C.J. Fair may end up playing their last game in a Syracuse uniform.The No. 3-seed Orange (27-5, 14-4 Atlantic Coast) will try to ensure that’s not the case when it takes on No. 14-seed Western Michigan (23-9, 14-4 Mid-Atlantic Conference) in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at First Niagara Center in Buffalo.“We went down to Greensboro, and it didn’t end up the way we wanted,” Keita said. “Now we’re going to play this tough because it could be our last basketball game in college.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textFair, a player who could have bolted for the NBA last summer, has evolved from a timid freshman who averaged 6.4 points per game to a more vocal — though still reserved — senior who is a Second-Team All-American.As a freshman, Fair sat in the wings as Rick Jackson, Kris Joseph and Scoop Jardine led Syracuse. The next year his minutes saw a spike, but he was still only SU’s fifth leading scorer. He was just waiting his turn.Last year, Fair led the team in scoring and minutes. He had the resume to go pro, but he came back for another year. Now he’s starring for a team looking to make the Final Four for the second consecutive season.“Coming in as a freshman, you don’t really know what to expect in college,” Fair said, “and then sometimes it can be a rude awakening for some players. For me, I wasn’t playing that much, and then as time went on, I had to grow up and adjust, and I think it made me mature in a fast way.”The rarely brash, headband-wearing forward sported a GoPro during practice Wednesday afternoon to record footage. It was his decision, not the NCAA’s. Fair wanted to document his last push for a championship.Though the GoPro looked uncomfortable to those watching, it served as a sense of comfort for Fair, who is trying to cherish his last moments as a college superstar.“It could be my last game,” Fair said. “But, you know, as a team, we want to prolong this season and not get it cut short.”Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim has said that this year’s Tournament is particularly wide open. Like many pundits, he thinks Michigan State and Louisville have a legitimate chance to win it all.But he also said the field is deep. There’s no such thing as an easy win in March Madness anymore. And he knows Western Michigan won’t be a cinch.Especially considering Broncos seniors David Brown and Shayne Whittington — who are also playing to extend their careers — are players Boeheim said could play anywhere in the country.“You get guys that develop as players at schools like Western Michigan,” Boeheim said, “and they’re as good as anybody we have and anybody that we’ve played against. Our players understand that, we understand that.”Fair and Keita said it doesn’t matter that many media members are saying Syracuse is overrated. It doesn’t matter that SU is heavily favored over Western Michigan, either.The past is irrelevant for Fair and Keita. Senior Day was a time to look back. Now it’s time to look forward.Said Keita: “Just like I said before, every game, we can play from one game to six games, and our goal is to play all six.” Comments
After one season as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for Syracuse, DeLisha Milton-Jones has been named the head coach of Old Dominion. “My heart is filled with excitement as I step up to lead the women’s basketball program at Old Dominion,” Milton-Jones said in ODU’s news release. At Syracuse, Milton-Jones worked with the frontcourt players by using a hands-on approach in practice. She was also heavily involved in recruiting the No. 4 incoming freshman class in the nation. It’s the second consecutive year that Hillsman has lost valuable assistants, as both Tammi Reiss and Adeniyi Amadou left after the 2018-19 season for Rhode Island. Hillsman congratulated Milton-Jones on Friday on Twitter, saying “We are thankful for all the knowledge she brought to our program and wish her the best in her next chapter.” Milton-Jones joined Syracuse’s staff after helping turn Pepperdine’s program around. She played in the WNBA for 17 seasons before becoming a coach. At the time of her retirement in 2016, the two-time WNBA champion ranked in the top-10 in WNBA history in points (5,571), rebounds (2,574) and steals (619) and was the all-time leader in games played (499). She also won two Olympic gold medals as a player. “DeLisha has experienced success at every level possible as a student-athlete, professional athlete, USA basketball team member and a coach,” Old Dominion Director of Athletics Camden Wood Selig said. “In addition, DeLisha has been a successful intercollegiate head women’s basketball coach so she knows firsthand what the job entails.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on April 17, 2020 at 2:36 pm Contact Danny: email@example.com | @DannyEmerman
The Premier County’s Peter Creedon will have to watch from the stand as he became the first manager to receive a sideline ban following his criticism of Meath’s David Coldrick in his side’s opening round loss to Armagh. And Tipp selector Tommy Twomey says they have yet to decide who’ll take Creedon’s place on the touchline and he says there needs to be an outlet for managers and referees to talk out any issues that may arise during a game.
The other Munster senior semi final takes place too today when Cork and Clare meet in Pairc ui rinn.Elsewhere in the Ulster football championship Armagh and Donegal go head to head at 2 o clock while in Connaught Galway and Mayo battle it out.Leinster has two games today when Meath and Wicklow meet in pairc Tailteann and Westmeath and Wexford meet in Cusack Park both atre Leinster quarter finals and both start at 3.30
There’s a seven-race card at the Dublin track.The first goes to post at 5.55pm.
A trademark display of grit and resilience earned Juventus a goalless draw at Monaco as the Italian side qualified for the Champions League semifinals for the first time since 2003 with a 1-0 aggregate victory on Wednesday.Juve, the first Italian team to reach the last four of Europe’s premier club competition since Inter Milan in 2010, were under the cosh throughout.They held firm, however, against a Monaco side, who lacked the experience and cutting edge to overturn a 1-0 deficit from the quarterfinal first leg.The hosts, who eliminated Arsenal in the previous round, dominated possession and Geoffrey Kondogbia was a big influence in midfield but Leonardo Jardim’s side lacked the guile to penetrate Juve’s massed defensive ranks.Juventus, who were without injured midfielder Paul Pogba, reached the final in 2003, before losing to AC Milan on penalties.– Follow Gary on Twitter: @garyalsmith
Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros Also, apparently none of this is enough to keep Angels fans from doing the wave.— Jeff Fletcher (@JeffFletcherOCR) April 4, 2018More on Ohtani’s pitching debut:Notes on Shohei Ohtani’s Angel Stadium pitching debut and a new pitcher who strikes out a lot of guys. #Angels https://t.co/WELGmbP9ot— Jeff Fletcher (@JeffFletcherOCR) April 4, 2018 Ohtani dinger! pic.twitter.com/sGKrJa1LGe— Daren Willman (@darenw) April 4, 2018 Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros PreviousThe Angels’ Shohei Ohtani takes off from home plate as his 3-run home run goes over the right-center field wall in the first inning against Cleveland in Anaheim on Tuesday, April 3, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani, left, of Japan, rounds the bases after hitting a three-run home run against Cleveland Indians starting pitcher Josh Tomlin during the first inning of a baseball game Tuesday, April 3, 2018, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani, center, of Japan, celebrates his three-run home run in the dugout during the first inning of a baseball game against the Cleveland Indians, Tuesday, April 3, 2018, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong) SoundThe gallery will resume insecondsThe Angels’ Shohei Ohtani watches his 3-run home run go over the wall in right center against Cleveland in the first inning in Anaheim on Tuesday, April 3, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)The Angels’ Shohei Ohtani heads towards first base as he begins to round the bases after hitting a 3-run home run in the first inning against Cleveland in Anaheim on Tuesday, April 3, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)The Angels’ Shohei Ohtani reacts as he rounds third base after hitting a 3-run home run in the first inning against Cleveland in Anaheim on Tuesday, April 3, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)The Angels’ Shohei Ohtani is greeted at home plate by Luis Valbuena after Ohtani hit a 3-run home run in the first inning against Cleveland in Anaheim on Tuesday, April 3, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani, of Japan, rounds the bases after hitting a three-run home run during the first inning of a baseball game against the Cleveland Indians Tuesday, April 3, 2018, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)The Angels’ Shohei Ohtani takes off from home plate as his 3-run home run goes over the right-center field wall in the first inning against Cleveland in Anaheim on Tuesday, April 3, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani, left, of Japan, rounds the bases after hitting a three-run home run against Cleveland Indians starting pitcher Josh Tomlin during the first inning of a baseball game Tuesday, April 3, 2018, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)NextShow Caption1 of 8Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani, left, of Japan, rounds the bases after hitting a three-run home run against Cleveland Indians starting pitcher Josh Tomlin during the first inning of a baseball game Tuesday, April 3, 2018, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)ExpandIt has been a historic week for Shohei Ohtani.The Angels’ two-way player, who made his pitching debut on Easter, added to the lead Tuesday against the Cleveland Indians with his 3-run home run off Josh Tomlin. Not only was it his first at-bat at Angel Stadium but it was the first home run of his MLB career. Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield REACTION:Curtain call. Shohei Ohtani A GOATDONT @ ME — Brandon (@brandonmasaru) April 4, 2018 Shohei Ohtani’s 1st MLB home run, according to #Statcast: 104.5 mph, 35 degrees, 397 feet. #Angels pic.twitter.com/8Szf53888d— David Adler (@_dadler) April 4, 2018 Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error — Jeff Fletcher (@JeffFletcherOCR) April 4, 2018 Related Articles Shohei Ohtani:First MLB at-bat: single.First MLB start: win.First MLB home at-bat: home run.First MLB home start: Sunday.— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) April 4, 2018Sign up for Home Turf and get 3 exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.Ohtani’s First American Homerun!!! 😇💪🏻🏠🏃🏻♂️💨⚾️ @Angels #ShoTime #Angels #Halos #ShoheiOhtani #LongBall #JapaneseBabeRuth #Baseball #BoomGoesTheDynaminte #MLB #TheShow pic.twitter.com/JsQNPEfiGI— Jonathan Rushing (@IamJRushing) April 4, 2018 Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone Shohei Ohtani is a stud 👀👀— Brandon Wilson (@OGBWiL) April 4, 2018 SHOHEI OHTANI 3-RUN HOME RUN. 1st career home run for Ohtani. @Angels take the 6-2 lead in the first.— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) April 4, 2018Ohtani is not the only Angel hitting a home run tonight.We have the first “new homer” at #Angel Stadium. Mike Trout hit one that would have been off the wall last year. Now a homer. #Angels down 2-1 in the 1st.— Jeff Fletcher (@JeffFletcherOCR) April 4, 2018
Dear Editor,The death throes of the Granger Administration have become a fascinating show; faced with a no-confidence motion they publicly emasculated the role of the Speaker of the House by asserting that it is Government and not the Speaker, who sets the date for the hearing of the motion. Since the fall of the Government and the advent of the theory that 33 votes do not constitute a majority of 65 available, I have watched with morbid interest as the line of those prostituting their intellect grows.I do understand that some never had intellect to begin with, however, to see Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo assert that 33 being a majority is an absurdity, and not catered for by the framers of our constitution is tragic comedy.Editor, there is no surprise that the Granger Administration is seeking to use the courts to thwart the no-confidence motion passed against them. Disregard for the Constitution, misinformation, shamelessness and duplicity have been main characteristics of the Granger Administration throughout its term in office. President Granger ascended to office with a promise to bring law, order and dignity (along with the good life) to our nation. With its latest actions Granger’s Administration will forever be remembered for the parody of Government it became and the level of buffoonery it descended into when forced to face the electorate.Should the Judiciary agree to entertain a court challenge of the no-confidence motion on this basis, it may well be the shortest mathematics lesson in our nation’s history. For the Judiciary to even hear a challenge on any basis is an over-step in my opinion. In this I concede I may be wrong; lawyers do need to earn a living.It is my hope that President Granger can curb the enthusiasm of his minions and restore some modicum of pride and decency in the Office upon his return from Cuba. The man, the Office and the nation deserve better.Respectfully,Robin Singh
Corentyne triple murderPolice in Berbice have arrested three more persons as they move closer to putting the pieces together on what led to the death of three Corentyne men last week.On Tuesday, members of the Major Crime Unit (MCU) following new leads, arrested the owner of the land at Cookrite Savannah, Black Bush Polder where the bodies were discovered. The rice farmer is also a licensed firearm owner. His shotgun was on Tuesday sent for ballistic testing following autopsies on the bodies on Monday.Pawan “Surish” Chandradeo, 37, died from shock and haemorrhaging following a laceration to the head and a fractured skull. Autopsies performed on the bodies of Jaikarran “Kevin” Chandradeo, 15, and Narish “Mice” Rooplall, 33, gave their cause of death as shock and haemorrhaging caused by a gunshot wound.Meanwhile, the licensed firearm owner and two of his workers were taken into custody on Tuesday. One of the workers reportedly had a relationship with the woman Pawan Chandradeo married on July 5, 2016.Chandradeo and the woman had four children together prior to their marriage, while the woman and one of the men in custody also share a child. However, that child lives in an orphanage.Police on Tuesday also released seven of the ten men who were in custody assisting with the investigation on $50,000 station bail each.The bodies of Pawan Chandradeo of Lot 163 Mibicuri Black Bush Polder; his son Jaikarran and his brother-in-law Rooplall, of Number 73 Village, Corentyne are expected to be laid to rest today.The men, who were discovered with a single gunshot each to the head, had gone on a fishing expedition which began at 15:00h on Thursday. They were expected back at about 3:00h on Friday. Also on the trip was another of Chandradeo’s sons, Alvin.The 13-year-old told investigators that he was instructed to wait at King’s Camp with the guard there. The instructions were given to him about 19:00h on Thursday.He reported that about 20:00h he heard what sounded like two gunshots, and later the rapid sound of what seemed to be four more.At daybreak, he left the camp in search of his father, brother and uncle. On his way, he met a man who told him that he had not seen his relatives and advised the teen to return to his home. (Andrew Carmichael)