10 months agoWolves defender Coady on England coach Southgate’s radar

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Wolves defender Coady on England coach Southgate’s radarby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves defender Conor Coady is on England coach Gareth Southgate’s radar.Southgate was at Molineux on Monday night to watch Wolves defeat Liverpool in the FA Cup third-round.He attended the game specifically to monitor central defender Coady, says the Daily Mail.The 25-year-old, who started his career at Anfield, has earned rave reviews for his displays in the heart of Wolves’ defence this season.His performance against his former club on Monday will have done his cause no harm at all. last_img read more

Broncos families support hockey assistance program after criticism

first_imgSeveral families affected by the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash are throwing their support behind a Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League assistance program that’s facing criticism. Darrin Duell, a former board member with the hockey team and the chairman of the HumboldtStrong Community Foundation, has objected to some aspects of the program that was created by the league’s president in the days after the tragedy.“We were reeling, we had a lot going on and I just felt like the timing was very inappropriate,” Duell said Monday in an interview with The Canadian Press. “There was no consultation with the Humboldt Broncos.”The program was announced by SJHL president Bill Chow and a representative of the Federated Co-operatives on April 9, 2018, three days after the Broncos bus collided with a semi truck at a Saskatchewan intersection. Sixteen people were killed and 13 injured.It includes mental health support for anyone in the league affected by the crash, a concussion protocol that deals with mental health and possible scholarships for players wishing to go into a mental health-related field.Chow said he stands by the decision to set up the program despite Duell’s criticism.“It’s somebody’s opinion and I think, at the end of the day, the program has helped a lot of people,” Chow said.The program has raised just over $2.1 million in the past year. Chow said it has paid out almost $220,000, which includes a total of $120,000 to the Canadian Junior Hockey League for a national concussion program and about $76,000 for individual counselling.He said counselling payments could continue for years because no one knows when the need will stop — or start — for some people.“If I’m a bad guy for creating a mental health program and a concussion program for junior hockey players across Canada, then I guess I’m a bad guy,” added Chow.Duell said he doesn’t have a problem with Chow or the intent of the fund, but he said he’s concerned about transparency in how the money is being spent.Two families who lost their sons and another whose son was injured in the crash said they support Chow and the program.“I have no problem with the SJHL setting up the fund,” said Chris Joseph, a former NHL player from St. Albert, Alta., whose son Jaxon died.Joseph said it seems like an unfair attack on the SJHL president.“All my dealings with Bill Chow have been upfront and honest,” said Joseph.Tom and Michelle Straschnitzki of Airdrie, Alta., whose son Ryan was paralyzed in the crash, said they’ve had nothing but positive dealings with Chow.“Why attack him after the one-year anniversary out of the blue?” said Tom Straschnitzki. “The Bill Chow we know was after the accident, and if we talked to him and asked him for something he’d say, ‘Sure, no problem. Here you go.’”The Boulet family agreed, noting they have been supported financially, emotionally and physically by the fund and Chow.“This fund was created while our family was in crisis, but there was never a pretence that monies directed to this fund would go to the families,” said a statement from Toby and Bernadine Boulet of Lethbridge, Alta., whose son Logan was killed in the crash, and their daughter Mariko.“To say otherwise is in our opinion both purposeful and hurtful to Mr. Bill Chow and the Boulet family.”In an interview, Toby Boulet said he recently spoke to a representative from the Federated Co-operatives Ltd. and was told it had gone to the SJHL to offer money for an assistance program in the days after the crash.“They worked together,” said Boulet. “They wanted to have sustainability and stewardship for many, many, many years.”Chow said he’s saddened by criticism of the fund.“The last thing I want to see is more pain and anguish for the 29 families,” he said. “I don’t get it.”Colette Derworiz and Bill Graveland, The Canadian Presslast_img read more

INTERVIEW Edmond Mulet former Special Representative of the SecretaryGeneral in Haiti and

A search and rescue team searches for survivors at an area where a bank previously stood in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. UN Photo/Marco Dormino  UN News: How did you balance the need to do your job against the uncertainty over the fates of so many friends, colleagues and others in Haiti?Edmond Mulet: It’s not easy. Many things go through your mind. You speculate a lot: What about this? What about that…?  Information is coming in little by little, it doesn’t come all together, so you probably have time to digest everything. We didn’t know if Hedi Annabi or Luiz Carlos da Costa [MINUSTAH’s deputy head] and many other staff were still alive or not. There were rumours, for example, that the National Palace had also been completely destroyed. We didn’t know if President Preval was alive or not, nor the prime minister. We had news that most ministries had been destroyed. We really didn’t know. If we had received the news all together, it probably would have been unbearable in many ways and would have just… I mean, the way it happened and the way information was flowing in maybe helped us to manage it a in a better way – and when I say manage it, I mean the process that goes on inside you, the sadness, the sorrow. It’s very, very difficult. UN News: Two days after the earthquake, the Secretary-General asked you to return to Haiti. You had just spent three intense years there and were now being asked to return during one of the country’s worst crises. What went through your mind? Edmond Mulet: I really wanted to go back. I really wanted to be there. I had no choice. I’m sure that anybody in a similar situation would have done exactly the same thing. I volunteered, it was my decision. And, everybody agreed that since I had been there before, had been the head of the mission and knew Haiti, that I was probably better placed than anybody else to go there and find out what was going on – always with the hope and expectation that everything would be OK, that everything wouldn’t be that bad, that I would find my friends and colleagues alive. I put together a team of colleagues who had been in Haiti before, to help me, and we flew out on Wednesday, 13 January, to Miami. But the airport was not operational and we didn’t know how we’d get in. The US Coast Guard offered to transport us but there were no flights that day. It was only on Thursday, 14 January, that we were able to fly in a US Coast Guard airplane, with rescue teams with rescue dogs. No seats, just holding on here and there, and this is how we finally landed in Haiti. When we landed in Port-au-Prince, it was confirmed that [MINUSTAH] headquarters was completely pulverized. We saw the list of missing, but no confirmation yet of anyone being killed. Some people had been rescued, some were injured. So I moved directly into the Logistics Base and when I got there, at that moment, President Rene Preval was having a meeting there with the international community, with ambassadors. So I went in to the meeting room and it was very, very moving, very emotional – just embracing and hugging President Preval and everybody else there. They provided me with information about the situation. After that, I immediately had a meeting with my staff and with the Force Commander. The first thing I did was to give the order to the Force Commander to use our military assets to dig mass graves. That was very important because of the number of the people killed, the bodies. It was terrible. It was almost 48 hours after the earthquake and we had to deal with that. Of course, I said to the Force Commander, we are not going to request any authorization from the government – there was no government, no structures. Just identify the appropriate land and just do it. We did that in conjunction with the Red Cross, and tried to identify the bodies as much as we could. I wanted to go to the Christopher Hotel. It took a good hour and half to get from the Logistics Base to the hotel. Going through those streets I could see the devastation and the magnitude of the earthquake and the suffering and the bodies on the streets, and people coming out of the rubble injured – then I could sense just how bad it was. Accompanied by SRSG Edmond Mulet, Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon addresses the press at MINUSTAH’s Logistics Base on the situation in Haiti. UN Photo/Sophia Paris  UN News: How do you respond to criticisms that MINUSTAH was not doing enough – for example, that most of the rubble from the earthquake was still where it fell?Edmond Mulet: I thought it was very unfair for people who would come for only one day to Haiti, “humanitarian tourists” or reporters, just landing there and leaving in the afternoon, saying “Well, nothing has happened here.” Not having gone through the ordeal, not having dealt with the problem, they could not see the difference as we had from one day to another, one week to another, from one month to another. One day I tried to assure some of these visitors that the rubble they saw on the streets wasn’t the same rubble that was there a week before, a month before. People were removing rubble from their houses and land. MINUSTAH, the UN and other partners, USAID, and the government were picking up that rubble everyday. And you can still see rubble on the streets of Haiti today, but it’s new rubble so that means things are moving. What I said to my colleagues was that, like in airplanes, when the [cabin] pressure drops and the oxygen masks drop and the first thing you have to do is put the mask on yourself and then assist people around you to do that. The first thing we had to do was put the mission back on its feet, and be effective in order to help victims and the government. So I thought it was very unfair to have that kind of criticism. I knew that we were doing our best and that we were giving everything and more we had in order to help. SRSG Edmond Mulet with Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the then-Assistant Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations, Hedi Annabi, during Mr. Mulet’s first deployment to Haiti. Mr. Annabi, who replaced Mr. Mulet in 2007, was killed in the earthquake. UN Photo/Logan Abassi  UN News: What condition were people in?Edmond Mulet: Our colleagues in the mission were in shock. Some of them were wandering like zombies, not knowing what to do, what to say, where to go. They had not slept for more than 48 hours, having witnessed and suffered that situation. And on the streets, you could see the same thing. People carrying bodies and trying to manage on their own. Many children were brought to our Logistics Base, to the Argentinian Level One Hospital that serves MINUSTAH. Many people would come in injured and many people would just leave children there, children who had lost their parents, hoping that us – MINUSTAH or the international community – would just take care of them. We established a camp hospital at the Logistics Base, with medical teams from MINUSTAH’s different contingents. Eventually we had 600-700 people there whom we were trying to help and assist. It was very chaotic, which is normal in a situation like that – the whole leadership of the mission was not there. The Force Commander had been away the day of the earthquake. He was in Miami with his wife, and he was returning the morning of the earthquake but his wife told him “why don’t you stay one more day?” and he stayed one more day in Miami. If he had come back he would have died just as 18 of his staff – a colonel, a lieutenant colonel, two majors, a lieutenant, two Brazilian generals that were visiting, his personal assistant – died at the Christopher Hotel. If he had been there also he would have died. But he came the day after the earthquake and was very effective. In spite of the losses and in spite of the shock, MINUSTAH’s military and police components were operational a few minutes after the earthquake, they were very much on top of things dealing with the situation as much as they could. SRSG Edmond Mulet greets Haitian government officials at a memorial service to mark the first three days of mourning for all of those who perished in the earthquake. UN Photo/Sophia Paris Touching down in the capital of Haiti, which was devastated by the catastrophic earthquake, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon pledges the United Nations’ support for the victims of the disaster. UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, SRSG Edmond Mulet and staff attend a memorial service for the former SRSG, Hedi Annabi, and Deputy SRSG Luiz Carlos da Costa before their remains were loaded on a plane and flown back to New York City with the Secretary General. UN Photo/Sophia Paris I said “yes, I’m very honoured.” And then I went to a lobby of a building – it’s very noisy in Times Square – and phoned my wife in Guatemala. I told her I’d just been selected to be the head of MINUSTAH in Haiti. “That’s great,” she said, “Congratulations – and what’s the salary?”  I said I didn’t know and she replied “you accepted a job and you don’t even know what the pay is?!”And that’s how it all started. I was here in New York for three or four days of briefings. In Guatemala, some friends and I had founded the Group of Friends of the UN, and I was very much involved in supporting UN activities there. But I had never worked for the UN. And that’s how I arrived in Haiti as head of MINUSTAH. Having been the Guatemalan ambassador in Washington and having been the Guatemalan ambassador to the European Union, I always thought that maybe one day I might come to the UN through the front door, I never thought I would come in via the kitchen door! UN News: What were your first impressions when you arrived to take up your post as the head of MINUSTAH?  Edmond Mulet: I thought it was irresponsible for the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations to send someone like me to a mission like Haiti with not enough preparation! I think we have improved with newcomers to the system but when I landed there, with all the acronyms, it was a big, steep learning curve for me. And maybe it was also good that I was not very well-informed about rules, limitations and regulations; because maybe if I had known how constraining the situation was in my role, I probably would not have done many of the things I was able to do. But since the very beginning, I felt at ease working with all my colleagues and very honoured to be part of this effort. Also, I was in awe in meetings here in New York and in Haiti, seeing Latin Americans, Africans, Asians and Europeans all working together with the same goals – it’s really fantastic. I sometimes amused myself by trying to identify the nationalities of all the people around the table.  UN News: This is an excerpt from an official UN document on your second appointment to be the head of MINUSTAH: “In the weeks following the devastating earthquake, Mr. Mulet demonstrated remarkable leadership and, through his resilience, strength, clear-sightedness and determination has anchored the efforts of the United Nations family, the people of Haiti, Governments of the region and the broader international community.” What do you say to that?Edmond Mulet: I’m very grateful to the person who wrote that! The only thing I can say is that I did not do this alone. Whatever is said about the performance of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General during that year in Haiti, I think it applies to the whole group of people there. It was all of us, all of the UN team, all our colleagues and friends in MINUSTAH; [and due to] the support we got from UN Headquarters, the support we received from the Secretary-General, from the Security Council, from key member states, from embassies, from ambassadors working in Haiti. We felt confident, we felt supported. A few days after the earthquake, I received a letter from the Secretary-General giving me carte blanche. I could do whatever I needed and whatever I wanted with the budget and the assets of MINUSTAH, putting everything at the disposition of humanitarian aid and assistance. So I was not restricted to rules and regulations. I had the trust of the Security Council, [and] the Secretary-General. When you have that kind of backing, then you can deliver, then you can be there and do things. UN News: You spoke of the differences between field and headquarters, how rewarding field service can be. So when can we expect you back in the field? Edmond Mulet: I’ve been back in New York only for a month now, so let me stay here for a few months and then we’ll see! For the time being, I’m here in New York, and of course, I’ll be travelling a lot to all these different missions, supervising their work and working with the Security Council on many issues. After 16 months in the field, it’s good to be back in New York. SRSG Edmond Mulet hugs Tarmo Joveer, a MINUSTAH staff member who was rescued after being trapped for 38 hours under the rubble of the destroyed MINUSTAH Headquarters in Port-au-Prince. UN Photo/Marco Dormino SRSG Edmond Mulet leads his staff in a moment of silence at a memorial service for those killed in the earthquake a week after it struck. UN Photo/Sophia Paris  UN News: Can you give an idea of an average working day in those first months on the ground there?Edmond Mulet: I lived for seven months in a little cell at a Brazilian camp with no windows, with a shower in the corner and sleeping on a cot. This is where I would spend my nights. But for me it was like a five-star hotel compared to many of my colleagues. We concentrated everybody at the Logistics Base, not only MINUSTAH, but also staff from UN funds, agencies, NGOS – everybody was located there at the airport. And we opened our doors to everybody, with many people sleeping in sleeping bags, in tents, cars, on sofas, chairs. This went on for weeks and weeks. Next to my provisional office was the only shower we had for 300 people. I would be receiving heads of state, ministers, delegations, etc., and people would be coming in and out of the shower wrapped up in towels because that was the only shower. In the first days and weeks, it was about trying to find survivors. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon came five days after the earthquake and we were still taking some survivors out of the rubble of the Christopher Hotel. By then we had found the bodies of many of our colleagues. The Secretary-General was able to bring back to New York the bodies of the head and deputy head of the mission, of Hedi Annabi and of Luiz Carlos da Costa. And then there were the ceremonies. When I had 18 Brazilian coffins in front of me, then the Jordanians, then the French, then the Canadians, the Pakistanis, all the different nationalities, all the military contingents, and all the civilians… Many colleagues had lost spouses, children, dear friends. Yet you could see many of them coming to work every day and giving everything they had. The Deputy Force Commander, a Chilean general named Toro , who had lost his wife in the Montana Hotel – and he knew that, we found her body several weeks later – he would come to work every day, despite knowing that his wife was under the rubble of the Montana Hotel.  UN News: How did that recruitment happen and what were your expectations and first impressions? Edmond Mulet: After leaving Brussels, I went through Washington to see some friends. A friend of mine said “Secretary-General Kofi Annan is looking for someone to be his representative in Haiti – would you be interested? They need someone from Latin America who speaks French, and has a political and diplomatic background; you have the profile. Can you send me your CV?” So I sent it and I then didn’t hear from her or anybody for several weeks or months! But I would hear comments – the minister of foreign affairs for Argentina, for example. I saw him once and he said “someone from the UN called me asking for references about you.” I would hear things like that but there was no direct contact with the UN. In April 2006, I was rowing in a kayak in Guatemala’s Lake Atitlan. I had my cell-phone on me and the phone rings and someone from New York says “Mr. Mulet, you’re a candidate for this position, you’re on a list – are you interested in this position?”  I said I would be interested. I came to New York and was interviewed by this panel. I remember Hedi Annabi – I had never met him before – was the chair of the interviewing panel. He said “it’s a one hour interview, thirty minutes in English, thirty minutes in French.” And it was very difficult, although of course I had read and prepared myself. They said to me, “thank you very much, go back to your country, this is going to take some time and we’ll be in touch with you.” The following day I was at JFK [airport], literally with my foot in the airplane and my cell-phone rings again and they say “Ambassador Mulet, where are you?” “I’m going back to Guatemala,” I said, and the reply was “Well, you better stay because the panel wants to accelerate the selection process.” I had to cancel my flight, take my suitcase off the airplane, delaying the flight for other passengers, come back to Manhattan and go back to a hotel. In the evening I had a meeting with Mark Malloch-Brown, the Deputy Secretary-General at the time, and he said, “I would like Secretary-General Kofi Annan to interview you tomorrow.” This was on 3 May, 2006; I had never met Kofi Annan. So I had this interview with Kofi Annan. Afterwards, he said “Let me think about it and I’ll be in touch with you.” I left and half an hour later I was in Times Square, walking back to my hotel, and the phone rings and Hedi Annabi says “The Secretary-General asked me to call you and to ask if you would be willing to be his representative in Haiti?”  UN News Center: You were in MINUSTAH from 2005 to 2007, then came to UN Headquarters in New York to take up a post in the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations. What was it like adjusting to UN Headquarters after your time in the field? Edmond Mulet: In Haiti, I would probably instruct, give an order, or suggest something and it would happen immediately. People would follow up, and I could see the immediate results of the decision being taken. And the interaction with the host country, with local authorities, the president, civil society, parliamentarians – all of that was very interesting in many ways. Being in New York, I always felt that I missed the action of a mission, that I missed being in the field. You’re far removed from that at UN Headquarters, it’s a more strategic approach. Of course, this is also fascinating because you’re dealing with so many issues around the world, all very diverse and distinct and I enjoy both. But, being in the field was, I think, very rewarding in the sense that you could see the immediate results of your work. UN News: Where were you and what were you doing on 12 January 2010 when the earthquake struck Haiti? Edmond Mulet: I was coming back from my annual leave in Guatemala, flying to New York. Nowadays, what we do as soon as we land is turn on our Blackberries and this is what I did. I landed around 6 p.m. at JFK [airport], and the first news that I read was “Earthquake in Haiti.” It was barely an hour after the earthquake struck. We didn’t know what had happened, the dimension of the tragedy – we had no idea. I went directly from the airport to the office and we stayed up all night long trying to get information and news of what was going on. UN News: What was going through your mind? Edmond Mulet: We didn’t have enough information at that moment. We didn’t know if it was a big one or a small one. Communications were cut off. There was very little information coming out of Haiti. Bits and pieces of information, but no real picture of what was going on. We had heard that the MINUSTAH Headquarters [located within the Hotel Christopher in Port-au-Prince] had been damaged but we didn’t know how much. We knew there was no communication between MINUSTAH Headquarters at the Christopher Hotel, and the UN Logistics Base at the airport. The Logistics Base had sent some people walking quite a long distance to the Christopher Hotel to find out exactly what the situation was there. At around 10 or 11 p.m., we got a report that the Christopher Hotel had just disappeared. Pulverized. There was nothing there. And they were trying to find survivors and help injured colleagues and friends and staff. We really didn’t know, we really didn’t know… We didn’t have the names of the missing. The following day, in a meeting with the Secretary-General, we agreed that I had to go down there as soon as possible.  UN News: In addition to the aftermath of the earthquake, you also had other major challenges to deal with – how did that impact on your work? SRSG Edmond Mulet speaks with the press at a voting centre, during the final round of national elections in March 2011. UN Photo/MINUSTAH/Logan Abassi Haiti’s then-President, Rene Preval, at a meeting with SRSG Edmond Mulet. Edmond Mulet: In twelve months we had this concentration of different crises and tragedies. We had the hurricane season, with Hurricane Tomas, that affected large parts of the country. We were spared in Port-au-Prince, some floods and heavy rain but not too much damage. Then we had the cholera outbreak, which was also a big, big problem for us. Trying to deal with that, trying to explain and also for us to understand where it came from, why it came and how it spread, and trying to help the government control it. I must say that the reaction from the government, compared to the earthquake, was very effective. And the coordination mechanisms the government established with international partners was also very effective. And then we had the elections. The opposition didn’t want elections, they said the people in power had to leave and they would organize an interim, provisional government. Already there were discussions on who would be the minister of finance, the minister of reconstruction, minister of housing – all of them saw each other already in power. I was very much opposed to that. Not the president, but people around the president, said “we can’t have elections in these circumstances, let’s extend our mandates, of the president, of the parliament, whoever is in power right now, let’s extend it for one or two years until the situation is normalized.” But that also was not the right approach. President Preval asked Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to send an assessment team to see if elections were technically possible. And the conclusion was yes – there is political will, the money is there, the organization is there, MINUSTAH is there to provide security and logistical support, elections are possible. It was very important to have those elections as the constitution established, or we would have been facing a power vacuum or instability, again. And Haitians have been working so hard for so many years to have political stability that going again into an irregular situation…So convincing political actors and the government to go into these elections was also something we had to deal with. Not having elections would have generated consequences that would have been damaging for the reconstruction process in Haiti. When you have, like we’ve had in Haiti, provisional or interim governments, the first thing we do is organize elections so there can be a legitimate government, one the international community can work with for the future. Then we had the political crisis, and we have to say it – the fraud, the intimidation, the manipulation, the party in power tying to stay in power, the national revolt. We had four days of complete paralysis in those first days of December after the preliminary results were announced, when the official candidate was placed to go to the second round. But all is well that ends well, and in the end Haiti had a second round. For the first time in Haitian history, they had a run-off election at the presidential level, it was the first time in Haitian history that the two main candidates of the opposition went to the run-off election, and the first time in Haiti that there was a handover of power from a democratically-elected president to another democratically-elected president from the opposition. UN News: Given your special role and involvement, how optimistic or pessimistic are you about Haiti’s future? Edmond Mulet: I cannot but be optimistic. I think the elections produced a new generation of leaders, with a new vision. There is new blood in the government. They want to do things for their country. I can see that the new team is honest, very engaged and committed to their country. So I think they’ll be able to advance on many fronts. I cannot but be optimistic. I think the elections produced a new generation of leaders, with a new vision.Their weakness is that President Martelly doesn’t have a political party. His base is really the population at large but he doesn’t have a political organization to back him in parliament. He doesn’t have political operators to deal with, to contact, to reach out to other political actors around the country. Coming from outside the political system, he’s a complete outsider and that’s one of the reasons he was elected, because he represents change. He doesn’t have those tools in order to advance his own vision and his own agenda. And also one has to be reminded of the fact that even before the earthquake, Haiti was already a very weak state with very weak institutions and after the earthquake that is even worse. They lost one third of all public servants, more than 18,000 of them. This has weakened Haitian institutions even more. 11 July 2011Humanitarian AidEdmond Mulet recently returned to his former post of Assistant Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations, after more than a year in Haiti as the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) – his second time in those roles. He was deployed to Haiti in the aftermath of the tragic earthquake which devastated parts of the Caribbean country, killing many Haitians and UN staff, including his predecessor Hedi Annabi. Mr. Mulet was educated in Guatemala, Canada, United States and Switzerland. Born in Guatemala in 1951, he is married and has two children.  UN News: Can you see a day when there won’t be a UN peacekeeping presence in Haiti?Edmond Mulet: It depends on the capacity of the Haitians themselves and the Haitian institutions to absorb all of what we’re doing to build these institutions. We have been building the Haitian National police capacities, the goal was to reach 14,000-15,000 of them and right now we’re near 10,000 and I must say that the Haitian National Police is probably the best well-regarded institution by the Haitians themselves. Very well structured, very disciplined. The problem they have in Haiti is that they don’t have the resources, not even to pay the Haitian National Police their salaries. So when will MINUSTAH be leaving depends very much on their own capacity to develop their assumed responsibilities and those capacities. And everything in the end is tied up to the economic situation. If they have national and international investment, job creation, economic activities, and the state is able to collect taxes in order to pay for services for the state, then I think there’s a way out. Many people ask: “what is a peacekeeping mission doing in Haiti?  There’s no internal conflict, there’s no guerrilla movement, there’s no civil war, there’s no conflict with any neighbouring country, there’s no border issue with anybody else, there’s no ethnic conflict, there’s no religious conflict, there’s no conflict for natural resources like with other places in the world like Congo for example, Haiti doesn’t have no oil, no diamonds, no coltan, nor anything else, so what is a peacekeeping mission doing in a place like Haiti?” The Security Council doesn’t have another tool to face a situation of a failed state, so we are there like a backbone of a country, creating the space and the opportunities for other actors on the development side, the economic side, on the social side, for them to build those capacities in the future. So it depends very much on our own capacities, in the international community, to deliver in a better way, but also on the Haitian side to take advantage of what we are offering. Our proposal right now is to create a contract for Haiti, a compact – civil society, private sector, Haitian government, international community – with very clear goals, responsibilities, and obligations and with a follow-up mechanism; and see if the Haitians are doing what we expect them to do, assuming responsibilities, and us – the international community – delivering on our promises of aid, assistance, money. But we have to tie the whole thing up around the concept of the rule of law. And rule of law is not only police, it’s not only courts, it’s not only corrections. In Haiti it’s also the issue of a civil registry, of a land registry, of functioning courts – creating the conditions and the guarantees for investors to create economic activity and break this vicious circle of assistance and donations and subsidies. I think that we have to help them to be self-sufficient in many ways and these are some of the benchmarks of the mission there. We will be conducting an assessment in June-July of the security-political situation in Haiti. We should draw down to the levels we had before the earthquake for the military and police components, and then we’ll see how everything goes. UN News: What did you do before you joined the United Nations? Edmond Mulet: At my age, you can imagine I’ve done many, many things in my lifetime. My first work was when I was ten years old, working for a daily newspaper in Guatemala. I worked as a proof-reader, as a reporter, and then I had a column. Then I studied law and became a lawyer. I was very much involved in the struggle against the military dictatorships in Guatemala, and I was in jail a couple of times. I had to leave Guatemala – my home country – because of threats. I participated in elections, knowing that I would lose, or knowing that the results would not be the real ones. I lost some elections, won some elections. One day, I won an election and the next day there was a coup d’etat and they cancelled the whole thing. Finally in 1985, I was elected to the Guatemalan congress and I was re-elected in 1990. In 1992, I was the president of the National Assembly in Guatemala. A year later I was appointed ambassador to the United States. I went back to Guatemala after three years, and I was Secretary-General of my political party. I was involved in legal issues, I had my own legal office. I was appointed ambassador to the European Union in Brussels, I was there for five and a half years. And then I was recruited to come to the UN. SRSG Edmond Mulet visits the Brazilian peacekeepers responsible for the Cite Soleil neighbourhood in Port-au-Prince, during his first deployment to Haiti, between 2005-2007. UN Photo/Sophia Paris read more

Muslims see Norway hand in religious tensions

The Council members said that out of 15 member states that voted against the US backed resolution against Sri Lanka in Geneva last year, 11 were Muslim nations. The Muslim Council meanwhile denied claims that the Muslim population in Sri Lanka is increasing rapidly. It was that claim which was used by Buddhist monks recently to stage anti-Muslim demonstrations in parts of the country.The monks also staged protests against the Halal certification being issued in Sri Lanka. President of the Muslim Council of Sri Lanka N.M. Ameen said that it was possible that the anti-Muslim sentiment in Sri Lanka was being whipped up in the run up to the UN Human Rights Council sessions in March.It may be an attempt to ensure Sri Lanka loses the support of the Muslim member states of the Council, he said.President’s Counsel Ali Sabry who also addressed the media today, said that they could not rule out an Israeli hand in the tension, since Israel was constantly attempting to de-stablize Muslim communities around the world. Muslim groups today accused Norway of inciting the tensions which arose between Buddhist monks and Muslims in the country recently.Speaking at a press briefing convened by the Muslim Council of Sri Lanka today, former Ambassador to Iran M.M. Zuhair claimed that officials of the Norwegian Embassy in Colombo had even met some extremist groups . “Some like Saudi Arabia and Qatar, are staunch US allies,” Sabry said.The Council also debunked the myth that the Halal certification of food products was a profiteering scheme that was driving prices up for all communities. Sabry said the annual revenue for the Division of Halal Certification of the All Ceylon Jammiyathul Ulema was Rs. 18 million with an operational cost of Rs. 17.5 million. The ACJU had informed the Government that they were ready for their operation to be inspected and audited any time, he added.The Council said they had met with the Defence Secretary and members of the Police Department and Intelligence Unit and they had all provided assurances that no groups would be permitted to take the law into their own hands against another religious community. They have full confidence in the Government being able to rein in these forces threatening disharmony, they said. (Colombo Gazette) He said the Embassy had however subsequently denied the claims. The former Ambassador said that foreign governments should stay clear of Sri Lanka’s internal maters. read more

How big will it be Finance minister to give Canadians sense of

How big will it be? Finance minister to give Canadians sense of federal deficit OTTAWA – The federal finance minister is poised to provide Canadians a better sense of the size of the budgetary deficit for the coming year.A government official says Bill Morneau will deliver a presentation Monday to update the country on the government’s fiscal and economic situation.The source, speaking on condition of anonymity because the details were not yet public, says Morneau will avoid providing a hard number on the shortfall because the upcoming budget has yet to be completed.Morneau recently heard downgraded forecasts from private-sector economists whose projections are averaged to create a fiscal baseline for Ottawa’s budget, expected late next month.Morneau’s announcement will come as the new Liberal government tries to find ways to fulfil big-ticket spending election promises amid tough economic conditions that are slashing billions from its bottom line.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau recently acknowledged that his government would no longer live up to its pledge to keep the 2016-17 deficit under $10 billion.Trudeau also raised doubts whether the Liberals would fulfil its vow balance the books within four years — a central pledge in their election platform.The government has instead been emphasizing its other promise to continue lowering Canada’s debt-to-GDP ratio during its mandate. Experts have said Ottawa could run annual deficits as high as $25 billion and still shrink that ratio.Conservative finance critic Lisa Raitt has accused the Liberals of breaking election promises.Raitt asked Morneau on Thursday in the House of Commons if a $30-billion shortfall would remain within his fiscal plan.“We aim to get to a balanced budget over time, recognizing that our economy makes that more challenging,” Morneau said in response to Raitt.“That remains a very important goal for this government.”Morneau has also reiterated the Liberals’ intention to prioritize spending measures to boost the economy and create jobs. To generate growth, the government is banking on increased infrastructure investments, tax-bracket changes to provide relief on the middle-income bracket and changes to child benefits.Follow @AndyBlatchford on Twitter by Andy Blatchford, The Canadian Press Posted Feb 19, 2016 4:15 pm MDT Last Updated Feb 20, 2016 at 10:00 am MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email read more

US stocks inch higher in slow preholiday trading

US stocks inch higher in slow pre-holiday trading NEW YORK, N.Y. – Wall Street traders sometimes root for year-end “Santa Claus rallies,” but on Friday, hardly a creature was stirring as stocks finished slightly higher on the quietest full day of trading in more than a year. Health care companies brought in most of the gains.Major U.S. indexes stayed in a narrow range throughout the day. Drugmakers and other companies in health care did the best, while retailers continued to take small losses just before the holiday. Energy companies also slipped, and they took their first weekly loss since the beginning of November. The Dow Jones industrial average, however, rose for the seventh week in a row.Defence contractor Lockheed Martin fell after President-elect Donald Trump again tweeted that the company’s F-35 fighter jet costs too much. The stock is down almost 6 per cent this month.“This is a negotiating tactic,” said Josh Sullivan, a Seaport Global analyst who covers aerospace and defence companies. “You’re seeing the negative portion of the negotiation in public where privately they may be more constructive.”The Dow Jones industrial average picked up 14.93 points, or 0.1 per cent, to 19,933.81. The Standard & Poor’s 500 index gained 2.83 points, or 0.1 per cent, to 2,263.79. The Nasdaq composite rose 15.27 points, or 0.3 per cent, to 5,462.69.Small-company stocks did far better, as the Russell 2000 climbed 8.85 points, or 0.6 per cent, to 1,371.51.Fewer than 2 billion shares changed hands on the New York Stock Exchange. That’s barely half the volume of an average day. The last full trading day with that little activity was in October 2015.Lockheed Martin fell after Trump said on Twitter that Lockheed’s F-35 fighter jet costs too much and that he has asked Boeing to “price-out” a comparable F-18 jet. Trump complained earlier this month about the costs of the F-35, which brought in about 20 per cent of Lockheed’s revenue last year. Lockheed gave up $3.21, or 1.3 per cent, to $249.59.This month Trump also criticized Boeing for the cost of the next Air Force One. The presidential jet is far less significant for Boeing than the F-35 is for Lockheed, however, and Boeing shares were only briefly affected.Sullivan, of Seaport, said Trump’s tweets are a new type of bad publicity for defence companies. But even if the President-elect periodically criticizes the companies in public, investors are still optimistic about their prospects under his administration. If Trump builds up the U.S. nuclear arsenal, as he proposed doing in a tweet Thursday, that would also involve more military spending.“Ultimately (Trump) ran on a strong defence spending platform,” he said. Defence stocks have done better than the rest of the market overall since the election.So far, investor optimism that Trump’s spending plans could boost economic growth is outweighing any concerns about his trade proposals, brash style and Twitter pronouncements, which have moved company stocks at times. That may change when he’s in office and can more easily back up his comments with executive actions and policy shifts.Drug companies made small gains on Friday. Botox maker Allergan rose $5.09, or 2.6 per cent, to $199.08. Bristol-Myers Squibb picked up 85 cents, or 1.4 per cent, to $59.61 and health insurer Aetna added $1.26, or 1 per cent, to $125.95.Cintas, a uniform rental company, slipped after its second-quarter profit fell short of Wall Street’s forecasts. Analysts said its first-aid business, which sells products like first-aid kits, eyewash stations and emergency cabinets, had a disappointing quarter. The stock lost $3.73, or 3.1 per cent, to $116.36.Benchmark U.S. crude added 7 cents to close at $53.02 a barrel in New York. Brent crude, the international standard, rose 11 cents to close at $55.16 a barrel in London.In other energy trading, natural gas prices continued to climb as investors anticipated that colder weather will lead to more demand for home heating. Natural gas futures rose 12 cents, or 3.5 per cent, to $3.66 per 1,000 cubic feet. Wholesale gasoline added 2 cents to $1.63 a gallon and heating oil stood still at $2.48 a gallon.The dollar slid to 117.26 yen from 117.60 yen. The euro rose to $1.0452 from $1.0433.Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.54 per cent from 2.55 per cent.The price of gold rose $2.90 to $1,133.60 an ounce. Silver lost 11 cents to $15.76 an ounce. Copper gave up 2 cents to $2.48 a pound.Britain’s FTSE 100 and the CAC-40 in France both rose 0.1 per cent. In Germany, the DAX lost 0.1 per cent. The Hang Seng of Hong Kong retreated 0.3 per cent and the Kospi in South Korea finished slightly lower. Japanese markets were closed for a holiday.___AP Markets Writer Marley Jay can be reached at http://twitter.com/MarleyJayAP His work can be found at http://bigstory.ap.org/journalist/marley-jay FILE – In this Friday, Nov. 13, 2015, file photo, the American flag flies above the Wall Street entrance to the New York Stock Exchange. U.S. stocks are slightly higher Friday, Dec. 23, 2016, as trading gets off to a quiet start heading into the Christmas holiday weekend. Health care stocks are making small gains and companies that make basic materials are trading slightly lower. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File) by Marley Jay, The Associated Press Posted Dec 23, 2016 8:15 am MDT Last Updated Dec 23, 2016 at 4:40 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email read more

Brock to host advance election poll Wednesday

In an effort to make voting more accessible, Brock University is hosting an advance poll on campus for the first time.On Wednesday, Oct. 3, St. Catharines and Thorold residents can cast their ballot for the municipal election in Brock’s Market Hall.The advance poll will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.Voters must bring documentation proving their identity and home address. Community members can indicate they are on campus to vote and will be allowed 45 minutes of free parking in Lot D.More information about voting in the Oct. 22 municipal election is available online. read more

Miamis Jakeem Grant picked by AP as best returner

Rules changes aimed at safety have made kickoff returns almost a rarity in the NFL. Punters have gotten better each year at placing their kicks in spots that make it harder and harder to run back.Despite all that’s stacked up against them, there are still a few returners who can turn the sometimes mundane kicking plays into breathtaking ones.Miami’s Jakeem Grant beat out Kansas City’s Tyreek Hill as the NFL’s top returner in 2018 in voting released Friday by a panel of 10 football writers for The Associated Press.Grant received the honour the same week he was placed on season-ending injured reserve with a leg injury.“Grant has a touchdown on a punt return and a kickoff return. Such a distinction is almost extinct thanks to the rule changes,” said Dallas-based Schuyler Dixon.Grant has excelled as an all-around returner, ranking fourth in kick return average (29.7 yards) and first on punts (16.3) before his injury. Only six players have enough returns to qualify for the league leaders in both categories.The return game is growing less important by the year. Nearly two-thirds (64 per cent) of all kickoffs have resulted in touchbacks, the most in NFL history, and there have been fewer punt returns through 12 weeks than at any point since the merger. Grant has two of the league’s seven return touchdowns so far this season, the fewest through 12 weeks in a non-strike year and down from a high of 31 at this point just 11 years ago.Hill, who returned a punt for a score in Week 1, received five first-place votes to the four for Grant, even though he is not used on kicks and has just 17 punt returns as he plays a bigger role on offence.“Punts against the Chiefs are the wrong time for a bathroom break, with Hill and his five career return touchdowns in three NFL seasons waiting to catch them,” Minneapolis-based Dave Campbell said. “Wait until the commercial.”In all, 21 players received at least one vote, with only Grant, Hill, Andre Roberts of the Jets and New England’s Cordarrelle Patterson appearing on all 10 ballots.Like Grant, Roberts is one of the handful of players to excel at both kicks and punts and finished third, one spot ahead of Patterson.“Roberts has been one of the few bright spots this season for a struggling Jets team,” New York-based Dennis Waszak said. “He has re-established himself as a dangerous dual threat in the return game, highlighted by a 78-yard punt return for a TD. Roberts also leads the NFL with three punt returns of 40 or more yards.”The other first-place vote went to Tennessee’s kick return specialist Darius Jennings, who ranked fifth overall and also has a return for a score.“Who? Yes, someone who came into the NFL as a rookie free agent out of Virginia and now is with his fourth different team is leading the league, averaging 34.8 yards per kickoff return,” said Nashville-based Teresa Walker, who voted Jennings fifth.Rounding out the top 10 were Chicago’s Tarik Cohen, Desmond King of the Chargers, Cincinnati’s Alex Erickson, Kansas City’s kick returner Tremon Smith, and JoJo Natson of the Rams.“Almost as exciting a player as Tyreek Hill, Cohen will get more touches on offence as his career moves along,” New York-based Barry Wilner said of Cohen, who was named on nine ballots. “That’s kind of disappointing because it means fewer opportunities to show his stuff on returns.”___The rankings:1. Jakeem Grant, Dolphins2. Tyreek Hill, Chiefs3. Andre Roberts, Jets4. Cordarrelle Patterson, Patriots5. Darius Jennings, Titans6. Tarik Cohen, Bears7. Desmond King, Chargers8. Alex Erickson, Bengals9. Tremon Smith, Chiefs10. JoJo Natson, Rams___More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFLJosh Dubow, The Associated Press read more

Mens volleyball Two California teams come to Columbus to face topranked Buckeyes

Then-junior outside hitter Gabriel Domecus (7) during a match against Ball State on Feb. 6 at St. John Arena. OSU lost 3-2. Credit: Courtesy of OSUOhio State’s top-ranked men’s volleyball team (18-0, 8-0 MIVA) takes on two Mountain Pacific Sports Federation opponents in University of California, San Diego (5-13, 2-11 MPSF) and No. 6 University of California, Irvine (13-6, 9-5 MPSF).The Buckeyes head into the weekend riding a 41-match win streak. UC San Diego and UC Irvine come out of one of the most competitive volleyball conferences in the country with 10 of the 12 teams ranked in the top 15 nationally.“MPSF always says that they’re the best conference,” said sophomore setter Sanil Thomas. “We want to kind of put them in their place a little bit, so it’s going to be fun.”UC San DiegoOn Friday, the UC San Diego Tritons face OSU after UC Irvine takes on No. 12 Ball State in back-to-back games in St. John Arena. The last time the Buckeyes and the Tritons met was in 2011, when the Tritons won in a four-set match in California, but the Buckeyes hold the all-time series 2-1.After having a four-day break from volleyball, the Buckeyes will hope to break its five-match second set losing streak when it takes on the Tritons on Friday. Eight of 10 total sets lost this season have come in the second set for OSU.“If we’re looking ahead to the Saturday match and we don’t take care of business on Friday, then we haven’t done ourselves justice,” said OSU head coach Pete Hanson. “I would like to think that [the OSU players] would have a little more pep in their step so to speak come Friday and Saturday.”The Tritons rank in the top 20 in blocks per set nationally with 2.11 per set. Junior opposite Tanner Syftestad lead the team with 43 total blocks including four solo stuffs. Freshman libero Ryan Lew has 109 digs to lead the Tritons receiving at a rate of .928.UC IrvineOn Saturday, OSU and Ball State swap opponents, with the Buckeyes taking on the UC Irvine Anteaters. The trip to Columbus will be the Anteaters’ first, where they will hope to improve their record against the Buckeyes to 7-4. The last time the teams met was at Long Beach State University last season, where the Buckeyes earned a win in four sets.Senior libero Gabriel Domecus leads the Buckeyes in digs with 125 this season. His 743 career digs sit in the No. 2 spot in school history, tied with Conor Martin from the 2005-2008 seasons. Senior outside hitter Nicolas Szerszen is not too far behind Domecus this season, tallying a total of 102 through 18 matches. “I think that when we play our game we’re very hard to beat, very tough to beat,” Thomas said. “It’s all about us bringing our best game, holding ourselves to a higher standard.”The Anteaters rank sixth nationally with 12 assists per set. Senior opposite Michael Saeta leads the team with 619 assists this season. Senior opposite Tamir Hershko is the go-to target for Saeta with 3.03 kills per set, the team’s best.The two matches this weekend will put Hanson within two of 1,000 career matches in his three-plus decades as the coach of the Buckeyes. Under his guidance, the program has gone 663-333 (.667) overall and 288-90 (.762) in Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association conference play.OSU faces UC San Diego on Friday at 7 p.m. and UC Irvine on Saturday at 7 p.m., both in St. John Arena. read more

Prolific bird smuggler facing lengthy sentence after being caught with 19 rare

Lendrum was remanded in custody on Tuesday after pleading guilty to four counts of evasion of a restriction and was warned he faces a lengthy jail sentence.He insisted he brought the eggs into the country to protect the birds because their natural habitat was being destroyed and his lawyer claimed he had always intended to declare them on arrival at Heathrow.But Sean Sullivan, prosecuting said: “He was illegally importing rare birds of prey in the UK.“He did so not out of any concern for the for their well-being, but for financial gain, that financial gain being significant.”Judge Neil Sanders said: “There was an incongruity of the whole account.”Lendrum will be sentenced on Wednesday. He also has previous convictions in Zimbabwe and Canada.Lendrum has always insisted that he was motivated solely by compassion.He told author Joshua Hammer, who is writing a book about his exploits, that he “must have climbed to a thousand nests” but insisted there was “no money in it” and that he only retrieved dead eggs for research.“The whole media has portrayed me as the Pablo Escobar of the falcon-egg trade,” he complained. Jeffrey Lendrum Lendrum was caught with live bird's eggs strapped to his body Jeffrey Lendrum Officers found eggs in socks that were bound to his body to keep them warm. He said the strapping was to help cure his back pain, later admitting stealing them from a nest on the side of a mountain in south Wales. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. The self-proclaimed “Pablo Escobar of the falcon egg trade” is facing another lengthy jail sentence after being caught at Heathrow airport with a stash of 19 rare eggs strapped to his chest.Jeffrey Lendrum, 56, a prolific egg smuggler, was stopped in June last year with the eggs, as well as two which had already hatched in transit.He had arrived in London from South Africa carrying two rare vulture eggs as well as others from rare and endangered birds of prey including vultures, eagles, hawks and kites, worth up to £100,000.Lendrum, who has Irish and Zimbabwean citizenship, has a series of bird smuggling convictions spanning decades.Most recently, in October 2015 he was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison for theft and smuggling after being found caught carrying four rare peregrine eggs in Sao Paulo but was was released on bail pending appeal and promptly fled the country.In 2010, he was caught trying to smuggle 14 rare peregrine falcon eggs out of the UK after being intercepted at Birmingham airport when a cleaner noticed him acting suspiciously. Lendrum was caught with live bird’s eggs strapped to his bodyCredit:Central read more

Find out more about Cummins EPA Tier 4 engines

first_imgCummins has launched a Tier 4 website to provide equipment users with an early insight into the performance and operation of field test installations. This comes ahead of the January 2011 effect date for EPA Tier 4 Interim and EU Stage IIIB low emissions engines above 129 kW. The www.tier4.info site has content based on over 40,000 hours of accumulated experience of Tier 4 powered equipment from customer field tests and evaluation tests by OEMs.“The clear message from our field test customers is that they prefer using equipment re-powered with Cummins Tier 4 engines, compared with the equivalent Tier 3 engines they replaced,” said Hugh Foden, Executive Director of Cummins Off-Highway Business.“Field test equipment operating on commercial service has demonstrated improved engine response and lower fuel consumption, while achieving the same exceptional levels of uptime achieved by the Tier 3 installations.“The website provides an ideal way of sharing the experiences of Cummins field test equipment operators with others in the industry who would like to understand more about the performance of Tier 4 powered equipment compared with Tier 3,” said Foden.The website will continue to be populated with additional information as Cummins nears 100 completed Tier 4 installations, varying from wheeled loaders to a yard spotter, snow groomer and excavators, to a rock drill. It is expected to provide a useful educational resource for OEM dealers, rental companies and equipment operators. Visitors can learn about the next generation technology, including details about Cummins exhaust aftertreatment and Direct Flow air cleaner.It features a customer testimonial video, the latest product brochures, regulatory details and a Tier 4 fuel saver calculator.last_img read more

Xstrata renews contract with Industrea for Black Star

first_imgGlobal mining products and services provider Industrea has signed a renewal contract through Industrea Mining Services (IMS) for the hire, service and support of equipment to Xstrata for its Black Star open pit mine worth approximately A$132 million in minimum hours revenue up to December 2013. Industrea Managing Director and CEO, Robin Levison, said the renewal contract was for the existing fleet of equipment at improved rates. “We have enjoyed a long term relationship with Xstrata in Mt Isa for its Black Star Open Cut mine having provided equipment and services at that site since 2004. It is pleasing to see this renewal out to December 2013 which demonstrates the importance of the Mt Isa region as the place where the IMS business was founded in 1986,” Mr Levison said. “Through our commitment to maintenance of the existing fleet we are confident of achieving revenue over the life of the two year contract well in excess of the minimum hours subject to operational requirements of the Black Star open cut mine.”last_img read more

Future multicore processors could be selfrepairable nearly invulnerable

first_imgComputer chips continue to get smaller and that’s a good thing. A smaller chip is faster and more energy-efficient than a larger chip, while also being more affordable to produce. More to the point, as gadgets become smaller, chipmakers have to try to keep up. The problem is that while shrinking a chip has all sorts of benefits, the tinier they are, the more fragile and easily broken they become. What to do?A team of four companies and two universities are now trying to figure out that very question. Anticipating a point when chips will become too small and thin to be resilient, they’ve created a chip that can not only gauge its own performance and reroute tasks around damaged portions of its own architecture… much like a man who learns to write left handed after he breaks his right arm.The group of minds behind this technology is called the Cutting-Edge Reconfigurable ICs for Stream Processing, known by their handier acronym, CRISP. The consortium came up with their technology by looking in closer detail at what chips need to stay running well, and what it all comes down to is multiple cores to which it can delegate tasks.The trick? Architecture that can degrade gracefully over time. A damaged chip shouldn’t just stop working. Graceful degradation is accomplished with a chip that can assign different tasks to different cores, test the connections to the cores, and reroute tasks when a connection becomes faulty. The result? Damaged chips that still work at full capacity when part of it are damaged.The possibilities here are obvious. Not only could architectures like Intel’s Arrendale be made more resilient by adopting CRISP’s new system, but gadgets would become more green-friendly as the CPU stopped being one of the most vulnerable and irreplaceable parts. Read more at Gizmag (via Treehugger)last_img read more

Beyond the Page How Magazines are Extending Their Fall Fashion Issues

first_imgThe September issue is still a big deal. Whether it’s the promise of the new fall season or a plunge back into a busy lifestyle after a slow summer, September issues tend to gain a lot of traction from audiences, which means that top brands are thinking beyond the pages of their books.At InStyle, the September issue is the first headed under newly-appointed editor-in-chief Laura Brown. The newsstand cover features singer and actress Selena Gomez. The team leveraged video to promote the issue, with broadcast exposure on both news and social outlets, as well as a multitude of videos pertaining to the issue on its site, InStyle.com.In other efforts to promote the September issue, the InStyle team held an event last week in Manhattan called “Get InStyle at Brookfield,” which allowed guests to shop at local retailers along Brookfield Place with a happy hour event in the evening.At W, the team is using augmented reality and interactive features to promote its issue. To complement the magazine, the cover, featuring Katy Perry, will be three-dimensional with a video and audio message from the singer. The 3-D feature will lead users to W’s “Beyond the Page” app, produced by The Mill, a creative technology and VFX studio. The app includes cover content, a short video series, features and portfolios. In the men’s sector, Esquire plans to host a dinner event at Chateau Marmont in L.A. on Sept. 6 to accompany its “Mavericks of Style” list. Hearst Magazines also launched a “We Are Fashion” campaign again this year, emphasizing its Elle, Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire and Town & Country titles. The campaign ran in retail locations in major markets throughout the U.S., along with newsstand and billboard exposure.last_img read more

Beyond The Beltway A Closer Look At Washington DCs Vibrant Music Community

first_imgTracy HamlinAt a time when the region and its music scene are growing and shifting, Hamlin is pulling people in and building community among artists by creating unique opportunities for performance and connection. In October, she held her inaugural Sweet Jazz and Wine Festival, an event with a charitable component—it raised funds to give two artists from low-income families a year of private instruction in their desired instrument. In a region where rents and the cost of living continue to rise, it’s a much-needed model that brings together D.C. musicians together in support of their fellow artists. Hamlin says the event is typical of the generosity of the area’s music community.“There are a lot of folks here connecting with people from different genres, people building rapport and friendships and collaborating,” Hamlin says.Von Vargas, hip-hop artist and producer, and the current D.C. Chapter president, enjoys the challenge of serving the different “pockets” of artists in D.C., Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia, and notes that artists seeking community and fellowship should look to service. Elise Perry Perry, who grew up in D.C., says that a childhood spent performing with the DC Youth Orchestra and playing “desk drums,” to recreate the beat of popular go-go groups, meant “musical experience was absolutely part of what D.C. had to offer me.” As a result, she works to “insist that there’s recognition of the music community here and that there are spaces for our artists, so we can continue to make sure people are being seen and heard.”Singer, songwriter, music educator, record label owner, and Recording Academy trustee Tracy Hamlin says she sees her role in the D.C. Chapter as working with her fellow board members to “engage, connect, support, and educate” members of the D.C. music community.“When I first joined the chapter, I was an inactive member,” says Hamlin, who has been on the D.C. board for seven years. “But I said to myself, ‘You need to come closer. You only get out of it what you put into it.’ I encourage [everyone] to come closer.”  Twitter News Beyond The Beltway: A Closer Look At Washington D.C.’s Vibrant Music Community Email Carl “Kokayi” WalkerOne of the goals, and challenges, facing the leadership of the D.C. Chapter of the Recording Academy is making sure D.C.-based musicians have the resources they need to benefit from changes in the area’s music scene and ensure that homegrown artists always have a platform.While growth and diversity of performances in the area is a boon for listeners, the impact on area musicians is trickier to parse. The opening of new venues doesn’t always translate into more performance opportunities for locally-based artists. And, amid all the grand openings have been a slew of closing parties for beloved local musical institutions that once served not only as show locations, but places for artists to gather. How does a scene that spans dozens of genres, covers three states, and now plays out at a dizzying number of venues stay strong and connected?“My goal for the D.C. Chapter of the Recording Academy is really to create a situation of engagement among the professionals here,” says Elise Perry, producer, composer, arranger, film/television director, and vice president of the D.C. Chapter of the Recording Academy. “Whether it’s an entire art and music symposium or just some form of showcasing artistic talent and performance specifically, the more things we do to engage people, the more it helps the community and the more we can be seen as an engaged, connected community.”  Members of the Washington D.C. Chapter Executive Board weigh in on what makes the city’s scene sizzle and how they are helping create more opportunities for local musiciansSarah GodfreyGRAMMYs Jan 7, 2019 – 12:47 pm With a rich history and a bright future, the Washington D.C. music scene is truly alive. In fact, new music venues, both traditional rooms and more eclectic spaces, have been flooding the Washington D.C. area of late. Want to hear a band play inside of a pie shop? No problem. Require a sommelier as part of your concertgoing experience? Sure thing. Want to see a show from the inside of a geodesic dome turned giant snow globe in the middle of summer? No sweat.An exact count is difficult to come by, but earlier this year, The Washington Post estimated roughly 24 new music venues have opened in the region, which includes part of Virginia and Maryland, since 2013. That’s in addition to existing venues—a mix of stadiums, arenas, concert halls, opera houses, amphitheaters, clubs, warehouses, at least one converted Baptist church, and a slew of coffeehouses, wineries, and breweries that also serve up live music. The region’s penchant for creating a music venue out of pretty much any interesting standing structure is one of the things that makes the scene in D.C. stand out, says Carl “Kokayi” Walker, artist, producer, educator, and current board trustee of the D.C. Chapter of the Recording Academy.“We’re not all about policy and politics—we’re about creativity,” Walker says. “From intimate spaces like Songbyrd… to the Anthem when you want to see bands get crazy, to alt spaces, I think those are the things that make a difference in the music community here… This is the place where punk rock originated, the place where our own indigenous music, go-go, comes from, and a place we strive to make sure other musicians live up to their musicianship.” Von Vargas“Being in the entertainment industry, our careers can sometimes be more self-driven,” he says. “Sometimes it’s good to put that aside and try to make a way for others. I think serving others, taking time out to do that is important. Being [an Academy member] is one way – serving in the Academy is a selfless effort.”Priscilla Clarke, president and CEO of the entertainment public relations firm Clarke & Associates, says that although the Washington area is more than just political ties, artists in the area should take advantage of Washington’s position as a seat of political power to advocate for themselves and others. Facebook Cultivating Creativity In Washington D.C. beyond-beltway-closer-look-washington-dcs-vibrant-music-community Priscilla Clarke“Know what opportunities and resources exist,” says Clarke, who has been involved in the D.C. Chapter of the Recording Academy for 16 years, and is its current secretary, “Learn more about the chapter…and get involved in other groups with other music markers to learn what’s going on in your city. It’s important to know that you do have a voice and you can utilize it to make a change.”Walker says that no matter how many new venues crop up, or how much the music scene in D.C. changes, a tight-knit network of dedicated artists will always be a strong, consistent presence.  “We’re a specific, special community that watches out for our own,” says Walker. “For our creators and creatives, and people who are involved with music, and have a love of music and the business of music.”Washington D.C. Chapter Presents: Vocal Health Tips From Lalah Hathaway, Anthony Hamilton & More Read morelast_img read more

Man mauled by a grizzly bear near Denali Highway

first_imgA man was attacked by a bear near the Denali Highway over the weekend. Alaska State Trooper spokesman Tim DeSpain says 77-year-old Glenn Bohn of Wasilla was bear hunting Friday afternoon near mile 68, when he was mauled by a grizzly.Download AudioGrizzly (Photo courtesy of Gary Lackie)It was reported to Troopers that the injuries were fairly significant.DeSpain says the attacking bear was shot dead by another hunter.“Bohn was then driven to the Denali Highway by snowmachine where he was flown by LifeMed to Anchorage,” says Despain.DeSpain says friends of the victim accompanied by Alaska Department of Fish and Game and State Trooper representatives returned to the attack site Saturday and retrieved the bear carcass.last_img read more

Large Eid congregations in Kishoreganj and Dinajpur

first_imgA section of people who went to say their Eid-ul-Fitr prayers at Sholakia Eidgah in Kishoreganj district on 16 June. Around 500,000 people offer prayers together at the grounds. Photo: Prothom AloPeople are bowing down in prayer at Sholakia Eidgah in Kishoreganj. People from abroad also came to participate in the 191st Eid congregation here on 16 June. Photo: Prothom AloDevotees aat Eid prayer at Sholakia Eidgah. The prayer began at 10:00am on 16 June. Photo: Prothom AloChairman of Islahul Muslimeen Council and president of Jamaat-e-Ulema Maulana Md Fariduddin Masud conducted the Eid prayers on 16 June. Photo: Prothom AloA section of people offering prayers at Sholakia Eidgah on 16 June. Photo: Prothom Alo.The government arranged heavy security, including drones, for the safety of the devotees in and around the Sholakia Eidgah on 16 June. Photo: Prothom AloA section of people prepare to say their Eid prayers at Gor-e-Shaheed Baro Maidan in Dinajpur district. Gor-e-Shaheed Baro Maidan reportedly hosted largest Eid congregation this year. Photo: UNBlast_img read more

Mosque shops attacked in Sri Lankas antiMuslim riots

first_imgA man looks at a burnt home a day after anti-muslim riots erupted in Digana, a suburb of Kandy on 7 March, 2018. Photo: AFPSri Lankan police said petrol bombs were hurled at a mosque on Thursday as hundreds of troops patrolled a troubled central district where anti-Muslim violence has left three people dead.Muslim-owned businesses were set on fire and vandalised in several parts of Sri Lanka, police said, days after an island-wide state of emergency was imposed to curb riots in Kandy.Armoured vehicles and heavily-armed troops fortified the hill district, where internet services remain suspended and an evening curfew is in place.The government ordered the internet blackout after police discovered mobs of Sinhalese rioters were using social media to coordinate attacks on Muslim establishments.More than 200 homes, businesses and vehicles have been torched in three days of violence by mobs from the mainly Buddhist Sinhalese majority.A 24-hour curfew was imposed on Wednesday afternoon after a hand grenade exploded in the hands of an attacker, killing him and wounding 11 others, officials said.The day-time curfew was eased following a calm night but tensions remain high in the tourist hotspot and schools shuttered.But in Kuruvita, 125 kilometres (78 miles) south of Kandy, police said petrol bombs were lobbed at a mosque. Little damage was inflicted and three suspects are being pursued.In Weligama, 240 kilometres south of Kandy, a Muslim-owned business was attacked, police said, while Muslim establishments were pelted with stones in at least two other locations outside Kandy.Sri Lanka’s telecoms regulator asked internet providers to block access to Facebook and other social media platforms to prevent the spread of anti-Muslim hate speech.Police have already identified anti-Muslim messages being shared on social networks, including a video posted by a hardline Buddhist monk urging violence against Muslims.Muslims in Kandy complained that security forces and police — equipped with special powers to detain under the emergency provision — were slow to react as the violence unfolded.”The main junction is going up in flames. At the same time, the authorities are folding their arms and watching,” said Muslim businessman M. Jaffer, as quoted in Thursday’s DailyFT newspaper.- Appeals for peace -Former Sri Lankan cricket captain Kumar Sangakkara alluded to the island’s history of ethnic violence in urging his countrymen “to say no to racism”.”We have to make sure that in Sri Lanka anyone and everyone feels safe, loved and accepted regardless of ethnicity or religion,” he said in a video posted to Twitter.President Maithripala Sirisena toured Kandy on Wednesday and ordered security forces to use the full force of the law against troublemakers.Military officials said more reinforcements were sent to the area on Wednesday night to assist police who resorted to teargas to disperse rioters the previous evening.The United Nations has condemned the violence and urged Colombo “to ensure that appropriate measures are swiftly taken to restore normalcy in affected areas”.The Kandy region, 115 kilometres (72 miles) east of the capital Colombo, is popular with tourists as well as Buddhist pilgrims.Holidaymakers have been urged to avoid the hill resort but no foreigners have been reported involved in the unrest.”Shops are opening, and more people can be seen on the roads since the curfew was lifted,” a police official in the area said by telephone.Kandy is home to Sri Lanka’s holiest Buddhist shrine, the Temple of the Tooth Relic.The chief custodian of the UNESCO-listed temple, Pradeep Nilanga Dela, said foreign tourists and pilgrims were flocking to the shrine despite the tensions.The unrest began Monday after a Sinhalese man died following injuries sustained at the hands of a Muslim mob last week. Conflict escalated when a Muslim man was found dead in a burnt building on Tuesday.Sinhalese Buddhists are the majority ethnic group in Sri Lanka, making up 75 percent of its 21 million people. Muslims make up 10 percent of the population.Parliament on Tuesday issued an apology to the island’s Muslim minority for the latest violence targeting them in the Indian Ocean island.Mobs also set fire to Muslim-owned businesses and attacked a mosque in the east of the country last week. Last November riots in the south of the island left one man dead and homes and vehicles damaged.In June 2014 riots between Buddhists, led by radical monks, and Muslims left four dead.last_img read more

One of Britains oldest most obscure destinations – The Petrifying Well of

first_imgA petrifying well is a well which gives objects a stone-like appearance. If an object is placed into such a well and left there for a period of months or years, the object acquires a stony exterior. At one time this property was believed to be a result of magic or witchcraft, but it is an entirely natural phenomenon and due to a process of evaporation and deposition in waters with an unusually high mineral content. This process of petrifying is not to be confused with petrification wherein the constituent molecules of the original object are replaced (and not merely overlaid) with molecules of stone or mineral.One of the most notable examples of petrifying wells is in Knaresborough, England. The Knaresborough petrifying well was first opened to the public in 1630 and still amazes people by its ‘abilities’ to this day.For many centuries, locals believed that this Petrifying Well was cursed by the devil – a myth fueled by the fact that the side of the well looks like a giant’s skull. They constantly lived with the fear that if they touched the well’s water, they would be turned to stone too.For centuries, people have placed everyday objects in the dripping waters and been amazed to see them slowly turn to stone over just a few weeks. By chris 論 – Own work, CC BY 3.0, What is truly amazing is the speed of this geological phenomena. A few adventurous people left everyday objects in the dripping waters, only to witness the transformation. The objects slowly turn to stone over just a few weeks.Some of these relics can be spotted even today, like a Victorian top hat and a lady’s bonnet from the 1800s – both converted to solid stone. More recently, people have left teddy bears, kettles, and even a bicycle in the petrifying well, with similar results. In fact, the object is just acquiring a hard shell of minerals in much the same way as stalactites and stalagmites form in a cave.“When I saw the stone teddy bears hanging under the waterfall, along with clothes, top hats, shoes, trainers and even an umbrella, I realized that I was observing an amazing geological spectacle,” Monty White, a tourist, wrote on his blog. “Small teddy bears take between three and five months. Larger porous items (large teddy bears and clothing) take six to 12 months. Non-porous items such as a top hat or a fireman’s helmet can take up to 18 months to be encased in stone.”Modern day scientists got around to analyzing water samples from the Petrifying Well and the water was found to contain a high mineral content that forms a coating around objects. With prolonged exposure, the coating would create a hard mineral shell, a lot like how stalactites and stalagmites form, but at a much faster pace. In fact, the calcite levels in the water are so high that visitors are forbidden from drinking it!“The water has a very high mineral content, please DO NOT be tempted to drink it!“By Uncool Eddie – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, History shows that the well wasn’t always known for its petrifying qualities. The earliest written reference to the well was by John Leyland, antiquary to Henry VIII, who visited the well in 1538. He wrote that the well was very well-known and visitors drank and showered under its falling waters, as they were believed to have miraculous healing powers. Around this time, the legendary prophetess Ursula Southeil, who is better known as Mother Shipton, began to gain popularity.According to popular legend, Mother Shipton was a Yorkshire witch, born in the cave, who prophesied about future events in the form of poems. As Mother Shipton’s notoriety grew, so did the fame of the petrifying well.The entrance to the cave in Knaresborough in which according to legend Mother Shipton was born. By chris 論 – Own work, CC BY 3.0, In the early 1600’s medical physicians examined the waters, and pronounced that they could cure any malady that the body might have.  Then, in 1630, King Charles I sold the land that the well sits on to Sir Charles Slingsby.  Sir Slingsby must have been able to recognize a business opportunity when he saw one because he immediately put the well on exhibition and charged money for guided tours around his new property.   The well and its surrounding area have been in continuous operation as an attraction since then.It is often described as the UK’s first official tourist attraction. The cave and dropping well, together with other attractions, remain open to visitors.last_img read more

Malaysia Indonesia to offer temporary shelter to migrants

first_img PUTRAJAYA, Malaysia (AP) — In a major breakthrough that could ease Southeast Asia’s migrant crisis, Indonesia and Malaysia offered Wednesday to temporarily take in thousands of people who have been stranded at sea but appealed for international help, saying the crisis is a global, not a regional, problem.The reversal in their positions after weeks of saying the migrants were not welcome came as more than 430 weak, hungry people were rescued — not by navies patrolling the waters but by a flotilla of Indonesian fishermen who brought them ashore in the eastern province of Aceh. “This is not an ASEAN problem,” Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman said after the meeting. “This is a problem for the international community.”Part of the crisis stemmed from the stance of ASEAN nations, which until now was to push boats away and not allow migrants to reach their shores, fearing that allowing a few to come in would lead to an unstoppable flow.On Wednesday, Malaysia and Indonesia “agreed to offer temporary shelter provided that the settlement and repatriation process will be done in one year by the international community,” according to a joint statement.Speaking to reporters in Putrajaya, Malaysia, Anifah said the two countries would not wait for international support but would start giving migrants shelter “immediately.”Indonesian Vice President Jusuf Kalla said his government was ready to shelter Rohingya for one year, while the Bangladeshis would be sent back home. “A year is (the) maximum,” he said. “But there should be international cooperation.”Thailand has said it cannot afford to take more migrants because it is already overburdened by tens of thousands of refugees from Myanmar. Its foreign ministry announced it has agreed to provide humanitarian assistance and will not “push back migrants stranded in Thai territorial waters.” It remained unclear, however, how it would deal with such people, or where the Rohingya could permanently settle. An Acehnese fisherman, lower left, help migrants to transfer to his boat on the sea off East Aceh, Indonesia, Wednesday, May 20, 2015. Hundreds of migrants stranded at sea for months were rescued and taken to Indonesia, officials said Wednesday, the latest in a stream of Rohingya and Bangladeshi migrants to reach shore in a growing crisis confronting Southeast Asia. (AP Photo/S. Yulinnas) The U.N. says the Rohingya are one of the most persecuted groups in the world. Neither Bangladesh nor Myanmar recognizes them as citizens. In Buddhist-majority Myanmar, even the name Rohingya is taboo. Myanmar officials refer to the group as “Bengalis” and insist they are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh, even though most have lived in the country for generations.Over the past few years, Myanmar’s Rohingya have faced increasing state-sanctioned discrimination. They have been targeted by violent mobs of Buddhist extremists and confined to camps. At least 120,000 have fled to sea, and an unknown number have died along the way.The U.N. refugee agency believes there are some 4,000 still at sea, although some activists put the number at 6,000.Aid agencies praised Wednesday’s breakthrough, but said time was running out.“It’s extremely good news coming out of Malaysia,” said Joe Lowry, a regional spokesman for the International Organization for Migration. “The problem is that, so far there is no agreement on search and rescue and these boats have got to be found. There’s a huge body of water and only a small number of boats, and the more time that goes on … the more desperate their conditions are going to become.” Ex-FBI agent details raid on Phoenix body donation facility Sponsored Stories How Arizona is preparing the leader of the next generation Top Stories One of the fishermen who led the rescue effort said that when he spotted the migrants’ green wooden trawler and saw the people on board screaming for help, he began to weep.“As we came close, I was shocked. I saw them crammed onto the boat. It left me speechless and I broke down in tears as I watched them screaming, waving their hands and clothes,” said 40-year-old Razali Puteh. People from the boat began jumping into the water trying to reach him, but the fisherman told them to stay put and then returned with other fishing boats.“I could not let them die, because they are also human beings. Just like me,” Puteh said. “I am grateful to have saved hundreds of lives.”In the past three weeks, more than 3,000 people — Rohingya Muslims fleeing persecution in Myanmar and Bangladeshis trying to escape poverty — have landed in overcrowded boats on the shores of Southeast Asian countries better known for their white-sand beaches. Aid groups estimate that thousands more are stranded at sea following a crackdown on human traffickers that prompted captains and smugglers to abandon their boats.The mounting crisis prompted Malaysia to call an emergency meeting with the foreign ministers of Indonesia and Thailand on Wednesday. Malaysia is the current chair of the 10-nation grouping of Southeast Asian countries known as ASEAN. One of the migrants, Ubaydul Haque, 30, said the ship’s engine had failed and the captain fled, and that they were at sea for four months before the Indonesian fishermen found them.“We ran out of food. We wanted to enter Malaysia but we were not allowed,” he said.Most of the migrants are believed to be victims of human traffickers, who recruit them in Myanmar’s Sittwe province and in Bangladesh with promises of safe passage to Malaysia and jobs once they land there. Aid groups say many are held instead for ransom on boats or in jungle camps in southern Thailand.___Gade reported from Simpang Tiga, Indonesia. Associated Press writers Jocelyn Gecker and Todd Pitman in Bangkok, Robin McDowell in Yangon, Myanmar, Niniek Karmini in Jakarta, Indonesia, and Matthew Pennington in Washington contributed to this report.Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. New Valley school lets students pick career-path academies Milstead says best way to stop wrong-way incidents is driving sober Former Arizona Rep. Don Shooter shows health improvement Men’s health affects baby’s health too Comments   Share   In another potential breakthrough, Myanmar Deputy Foreign Minister Thant Kyaw indicated his country would likely join regional talks in Bangkok next week. “We all have to sit down and we all have to consider how to tackle this problem together,” he told reporters in Bangkok after meeting his Thai counterpart.The No. 2 U.S. diplomat, currently visiting Southeast Asia, said he will raise the humanitarian crisis of the Rohingya when he meets with senior Myanmar government leaders on Thursday.“The only sustainable solution to the problem is changing the conditions that let them put their lives at risk at the first place,” Deputy Secretary of State Anthony Blinken told reporters in Jakarta.The migrants brought ashore Wednesday in Indonesia were rescued by more than a dozen fishing boats, said Herman Sulaiman from East Aceh district’s Search and Rescue Agency. It was unclear if all the migrants had been on one vessel or had come from several.An initial batch of 102 people was the first brought to shore in the Aceh village of Simpang Tiga.“They were suffering from dehydration, they are weak and starving,” said Khairul Nove, head of the Langsa Search and Rescue Agency in Aceh province. Among the 102 were 26 women and 31 children, he said. Top holiday drink recipeslast_img read more